Here you will find information about the Standing Committee of the International
Conference on HPSG.
The current members are:
- Emily M. Bender (University of Washington, USA) [regular, 2019]
- Fabiola Henri (Buffalo, USA) [regular, 2021]
- David Y. Oshima (Nagoya University) [ex-officio, 2022]
- Carl Pollard (Ohio State, Columbus, Ohio, USA) [permanent]
- Ivan Sag (Stanford University, California, USA) [permanent, deceased 2013, obituaries here, here, and here]
- Manfred Sailer (Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main, Germany) [chair, 2019]
- Sanghoun Song (Korea University, South Korea) [regular, 2017]
- Elodie Winckel (FAU Nürnberg-Erlangen) [ex-officio, 2022]
- Olga Zamaraeva (University of Washington, USA) [regular, 2020]
For previous members, see below.
The primary task of the standing committee is to see that the yearly conference is organized, preferably at accessible places. Principally, this involves:
- Appointing a Programme Committee Chair, and approving the membership of the Programme Committee;
- Selecting a location for the conference, and appointing a Local Organizing Committee Chair;
- Appointing an editor to oversea publication of the conference proceedings;
- Holding a business meeting at each conference; this meeting should be an open meeting, at which the Standing Committee presents a verbal report, and any concerns about the running of the conference, including the organization, activity, and membership of the Standing Committee may be raised and discussed.
The intended roles of the Programme Committee (PC), and PC Chair, the Local Organizing Committee and Chair, the normal structure of the conference, and the paper selection process are set out separately, in this document.
The standing committee consists of two permanent members, two ex-officio members, and five regular members. Carl Pollard and Ivan Sag are the permanent members. In any given year, the ex-officio members are chairs of the programme and the local organizing committee from the previous year's conference. Since the ex-officio members may also be regular members, this gives a total membership of between seven (two plus five) and nine (two plus two plus five).
Regular members serve a term of three years, which may be extended for a second three years, but only once (this does not preclude them being ex-officio members at any time). Regular members are appointed by the existing Standing Committee itself.
Previous members may be renominated (after a break in service).
The Standing Committee chooses one of its members to act as Standing Committee chair.
Past members of the committee include:
- Anne Abeillé (Université Paris 7, France) 2006-2012, Local Organizer 2010, Programme Chair 2014
- Doug Arnold (University of Essex, UK) 2009-15, Programme Chair 2016
- Emily Bender (University of Washington, USA) 2006-2012, Local Organizer 2011, Programme Chair 2015
- Gabriela Bîlbîie (Univ. de Bucarest) Local Organizer 2019
- Olivier Bonami (Sorbonne, Paris, France) Programme Chair 2010
- Francis Bond (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore) 2009-2015, Local Organizer 2015
- Rui Chaves (University of Buffalo, New York, USA) 2015–2021, SC Chair 2019–2021, Local Organizer 2014
- Berthold Crysmann (CNRS, Diderot, Paris, France) Programme Chair 2011
- Daniele Godard (Paris, France)
- Georgia Green (Indiana, USA)
- Erhard Hinrichs (Tuebingen, Germany)
- Jong-Bok Kim (Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea) Programme Chair 2012
- Tibor Kiss (Bochum, Germany) 2003-2009
- Nurit Melnik (The Open University, Israel) 2011-2019, SC chair during 2015-2019, Programme Chair 2021
- Detmar Meurers (Tuebingen, Germany)
- Stefan Müller (Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany) Local Organizer 2013, 2011-2017, Local Organizer 2020
- Tsuneko Nakazawa (University of Tokyo, Japan)
- John Nerbonne (Groningen, Netherlands)
- Petya Osenova (Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski) Programme Chair, 2019
- Adam Przepiórkowski (University of Warsaw) Local Organizer 2016
- Byong-Rae Ryu (Chungnam National University, Daejon, South Korea) Local Organizer 2012
- Kiril Simov (Sofia, Bulgaria)
- Jesse Tseng (CNRS, Université de Toulouse, France) Programme Chair 2013
- Gert Webelhuth (Goettingen, Germany) –2009
(Please let me know if you are a past member and I have missed you from this list).